RE: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
On Wednesday, January 24, 2007 @ 12:20 PM, Jack Malone wrote:

>At 11:47 AM 1/24/2007, Greg Wallace wrote:
>>On Wednesday, January 24, 2007 @ 6:20 AM, James Knott wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>> >Many systems, including the one I'm on, will only work with one MAC.
>> >However, changing it only requires turning the modem off for a few
>> >minutes and then on again.
>Its more then likely the isp that requires the mac to hand out the ip
>address. That is the way it is here , with cox an now suddenlink who
>bought the cox system here in texas. When I first hooked up the cable
>modem I used the computer first before I had the router an I had to
>clone the computers nic mac address to the router so that It would
>work every time I changed to a new router. Been on the same netgear
>router for several years so not had to go thrue the mac address
>cloning / changing :) .
>

>jack

I can hook up a new device to my modem with no problem, as long as I power
cycle the modem first. Apparently, from some of the notes I'm reading, some
ISPs lock you in to a single mac address, as you're describing. Not the
case with my ISP or, apparently, with James Knott's.

Greg Wallace