RE: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
On Wednesday, January 24, 2007 @ 6:20 AM, James Knott wrote:

<snip>
>Many systems, including the one I'm on, will only work with one MAC.
>However, changing it only requires turning the modem off for a few
>minutes and then on again.

Apparently, that's the way mine works. I had turned the old router on and
off a dozen times without re-booting the modem. However, switching in the
new router (with a new mac address) wouldn't work with out re-booting the
modem. I've been speculating as to why the modem needs to capture that mac
address. I guess if you had some sort of switch where you were introducing
different devices to the modem than the one it originally captured the mac
address off off it could possibly cause it to malfunction, so it captures
that address to make sure it will only need to deal with the device that it
initially synced with. Otherwise, it would try to interface with every
device switched to it in the exact same manner and that might not work.
Just a wag on my part. I really don't know why it has the one mac address
limit.

Greg Wallace