[opensuse] Re: Re: Clone a machine ?
  • From: Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 15:55:46 +0100
David Mayr wrote:

>> > Is there a tool in Opensuse 10.2 to "clone" a machine , that is I
>> > define a master with all desired softwares and network/NFS/LDAP ...
>> > configuration, then I am able to install many others machines with the
>> > same conf. There is such tool in HP-UX called IGNITE , would be great
>> > if Opensuse have a similar tool.
>>
>> Autoyast is meant to do this for larger installations.
>> http://www.suse.com/~ug/
>
> Autoyast is really great, but maybe sometimes a bit overkill (in setup) if
> you just want to clone one machine...

Agreed, it is meant for larger installs ;-))

> Another way would be to do it 'by hand':
> - boot some live-cd (suse live-cd or knoppix) on the "empty" system
> - create partitions as needed and create filesystems
> - mount the new partitions
> - mount all filesystems of the system that should be cloned by NFS (*)
> - copy all files via rsync -auvx /source /destination to the new
> system - setup a bootloader: start 'grub' and enter (assuming that /boot
> is your
> first partition on your fist disk):
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
>
> I'm sure there are many other (maybe better) ways, but i had good
> experiences with this one ...
>
> (*) or setup rsync in server mode on this machine

I did the "just a few machines clone" with a combination of dd and netcat.
It is a bit slow but it is very easy to do. I use knoppix for the purpose.
For example:
http://digiassn.blogspot.com/2006/01/dd-over-netcat-for-cheap-ghost.html

kind regards
Eberhard