Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:25:50 -0800
On Tuesday 23 January 2007 18:07, Greg Wallace wrote:
[...]
> >Ok. I found it. I picked "Use This Mac Address" which already had an
> >address in it but was grayed out until I selected it. Is that the Mac
> >Address of the modem, or of the router?
I don't know. You might be able to tell by comparing that value with the MAC
address displayed by 'ifconfig eth0' on your workstation (assuming you use
eth0 to connect to your LAN and router. Choosing the "Default MAC Address"
would definitely have used the router's MAC address on the WAN interface.

> >Thanks,
> >Greg Wallace
>
> I've been doing some googling on this and I'm still a bit confused. When
> you choose, for example, "Use This Mac Address", if that's not the mac
> address that the modem picked earlier (from, say, a different router) will
> it be accepted, or wouldn't you still have to re-boot the modem to get it
> to use that new address?
Probably the latter. Unless you have all routers that you might from time to
time connect to your cable modem using the same MAC address on the WAN
interface, you'll have to reset the modem on each change.

> Or am I still not understanding this process?
You're getting there. In your case, this is probably just a learning exercise
but not really necessary, since you were able to connect to your ISP after
resetting the modem. This feature of most routers is essential, however,
when an ISP requires that packets arriving at the cable modem be from some
known (to them) MAC address, often one registered with them when signing up
for their service. This way it looks like the original computer NIC is still
connected directly to the modem, even though there's a router between the
two.

Jim Cunning