Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 01:24:48 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2007-01-23 at 00:46 -0600, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> > I don't know details about ReiserFS - this FS has been banned from all
> > our systems a long time ago. I know a bit about ext3 and xfs though.
> >
> Interesting. I'd be interested in knowing why, if you can share that
> information.

You can find many people against, and many for it.

> I'm using a Reiser-only installation right now, but it
> requires a rather large journal (at least, that is what the installation
> told me when I tried to create a small /boot partition, about 15 MB or
> so -- minimum partition size was stated at just over 100 MB).

Not exactly a large journal. But yes, there is a minimun size for a
reiserfs parttition. I use ext2 for /boot.

> Ext3 seems
> like a good alternative; I've never used xfs at all.

xfs is very good for large files. Some people recomend it for the /home
directory. I use it for DVDs as well.

> > When the filesystem is marked as clean, then there is usually no need
> > to do an fsck or to replay the journal - the filesystem should be in a
> >
> I thought you had to run fsck to determine if the filesystem is clean?
> As for replaying the journal, that seems to be a constant with Reiser.
> What you say definitely makes sense, but seems to be contradicted in
> practice, at least insofar as my log files tell me.

It is normal to do a fast test of reiserfs partitions during boot, and
AFAIK, it run always. I'm not sure for ext3, but that could be also the
case. XFS does also run a quick check when mounting.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.