[opensuse] Beagle and indexing a Samba Share?
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 19:03:56 -0500
On 1/23/07, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 13:45 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> I want to experiment with Beagle.
>
> I have a Samba server that I have upgraded to 10.2 to test with.
>
> It has various live and backup data on it. About 1/3 live, 2/3 backup.
>
> I only want Beagle to index specific directories (my live data). How
> do I do that?

go to control-center->search settings, and, in the Indexing tab, add the
directories you want beagle to index.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxx>

Okay, I tried that as root because I want the whole Samba server /data
directory to be indexed, not just those files my user account has
access to.

It error-ed out and said that root does not get to do that. Instead I
have to use "beagle-build-index" to index my /data directory.

Not a problem, but I have a couple questions:

1) Do I have to run beagle-build-index only once, or should I invoke
it every night as part of my backup script?

2) My /data directory has 60GB of real data in it. How big should I
expect the index to be?

3) Assuming I get the index built, will I be able to give the Windows
users that access the Samba server access to the beagle index? ie.
via a web front-end or something? You can see this is my first
adventure into using beagle.

Thanks
Greg
--