RE: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
On Tuesday, January 23, 2007 @ 4:22 PM, Jim Cunning wrote:

>On Tuesday 23 January 2007 13:41, Greg Wallace wrote:
[...]
>> Well John, I went down to Fry's today and bought a Netgear 4 port router.

>> I tried to set it up and it couldn't even connect to my ISP, which is
cable
>> modem and assigns ip addresses automatically (so how could it fail to get
>> the address?). So, I plugged my leaky Belkin router back in and was up
and
>> running again immediately. I guess I'll try a D-Link router next.
>>
>> Greg Wallace
>Greg,

>Did you reset your cable modem? Most cable modems that I have seen learn
>the
>MAC address of the host/router connected to them and won't talk to another
>until the modem has been restarted.

Bingo. That was the problem. I unplugged my modem and plugged it back in
and now everything is working fine.

>One way to avoid this situation is to use the "Clone MAC Address" function
>many routers have, so they appear to have the MAC address of the/one LAN
>host
>connected to it. That way, the cable modem always see the same MAC
address,
>regardless of the router actually attached to it.

I don't see that function in this particular router (Netgear RP614), but
since I'll be using this router from now on (at least hopefully) I doubt
I'll have that problem again.

>Jim

Thanks!,
Greg Wallace