Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:21:50 -0800
On Tuesday 23 January 2007 13:41, Greg Wallace wrote:
[...]
> Well John, I went down to Fry's today and bought a Netgear 4 port router.
> I tried to set it up and it couldn't even connect to my ISP, which is cable
> modem and assigns ip addresses automatically (so how could it fail to get
> the address?). So, I plugged my leaky Belkin router back in and was up and
> running again immediately. I guess I'll try a D-Link router next.
>
> Greg Wallace
Greg,

Did you reset your cable modem? Most cable modems that I have seen learn the
MAC address of the host/router connected to them and won't talk to another
until the modem has been restarted.

One way to avoid this situation is to use the "Clone MAC Address" function
many routers have, so they appear to have the MAC address of the/one LAN host
connected to it. That way, the cable modem always see the same MAC address,
regardless of the router actually attached to it.

Jim