RE: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
On Tuesday, January 23, 207 @ 1:27 PM, John Anderson wrote:

>On Tuesday 23 January 2007 10:11, Greg Wallace wrote:

Netgear.

>> >http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html
>>
>> Excellent description. I just wonder how often you'd run into a site
that
>> didn't support passive ftp. In any even, not having active ftp
capability
>> would seem to be a small drawback, at least in my case.
>>
>> Greg Wallace

>Actually I found the article very misleading, and in placed, just flat
>wrong.

>In describing passive ftp it says:
> "The client will make both connections to the server, but one of them will
be
> to a random high port, which would almost certainly be blocked by a
firewall
> on the server side."

>Random high ports? I think not.

Yeah, that does seem to be a misstatement in the article. In it's
description of how passive ftp works, it says that the server notifies you
which port to connect to, so it doesn't seem logical that it would tell you
to connect to a port that is going to be firewalled.

>The client will connect to a SPECIFIC port passed to it from the server,
and
>upon which the server has started listening.

>There is nothing random about it.

Right. In it's detailed description it makes this clear. It's just the
summary section that seems to have it fouled up.

<snip>