[opensuse] Re: Re: printing to a printer on a windows XP machine
  • From: Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:36:44 +0100
Phil Burness wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 14:34, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Phil Burness wrote:

>> > Here is the response from the suggestion above:
>> >
>> > mymachine:~ # smbclient -U
>> > bob.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx -L BSMITH2 Password:
>> > example2 session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>> >
>> > Phil
>>
>> hi,
>> is there a reason that you fiddle arround with samba settings and do not
>> use printing via ipp, that is supported in any windows client and server
>> from w2k on?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Eberhard
> Only that I don't know how to do it via ipp - can you explain?
>
> Thanks
> Phil
briefly:
-you configure your printer in windows and then share it.
-you install "internet printing" in windows
-you use http://localhost:631 on your linux "client" to add a printer and
see there in the cups examples how a ipp queue should look like, afaik yast
does this also very nicely.

For a more detailed view of the windows side of ipp printing, this document
might be useful. Beware, it is a word document ;-)) : "Effectively using
IPP Printing" from Microsoft themselves.
http://tinyurl.com/yjm4oq

For a more detailed view on the linux side of printing in general and ipp
printing in particular, you could have a look here:
http://www.cups.org/book/index.php.

Lastly, there is also a very good chapter about printing in the suse
documentation and a fair amount of information is inside the sdb, mainly
written by Johannes Meixner (jsmeix) from suse.

hope this helps
kind regards
Eberhard