Re: [opensuse] printing to a printer on a windows XP machine
From: "Phil Burness" <pburness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tuesday 23 January 2007 03:33, david rankin wrote:
> From: "Darryl Gregorash" <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 2007-01-22 11:10, Phil Burness wrote:
>> <snip>
>> On the XP machine my username is bob.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx password >> example2
>
> Are you sure your username on that system is not just bob.smith?

I would think Darryl is right. A good way to test whether your windows box
is talking is with the smbclient command. On your Linux box just issue
"smbclient -U <username> -L <windows host name>" and then enter the
password at the prompt. If you have a valid setup and valid
username/password pair, you should see something like this:

david@nemesis:~> smbclient -U david -L ripper
Password:
Domain=[RIPPER] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
SharedDocs Disk Shared Docs on Ripper
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
GenericT Printer Generic / Text Only
E Disk
ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
C$ Disk Default share

Hope that helps.....

--
Here is the response from the suggestion above:

mymachine:~ # smbclient -U bob.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx -L BSMITH2
Password: example2
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Phil

Phil,

It appears to be one of two things. (1) the username/password pair of bob.smith@xxxxxxxxxxx with password example2 is not (a) recognized or (b) allowed remote access to hostname BSMITH2; or (2) Windows firewall is not providing an exception to blocking windows file and print sharing requests. Check control panel -> windows firewall -> exceptions tab.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street