[opensuse] permanently leased wireless DHCP IP address not always assigned/in range
  • From: "Dennis E. Slice" <dslice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:20:19 -0500
Here's an annoying problem that I can usually address by fiddling and a
random number of reboots, but maybe someone here has a real answer. I
have searched the archives, but didn't recognized the problem in any of
the listings.

SUSE 10.0
Notebook: IBM T41 with IBM wireless and wired nics
Desktops:
Dell GX240 with ethernet hard card (SUSE 10.0)
older Dell Dimension (Windows 2000)
Networked printer: Lexmark
Hub: Belkin 802.11b wireless

Problem: I need to ping, NFS, Samba, ssh, sftp, etc. all the various
systems on the network and access the internets.

I have set up the Belkin box for DHCP with "Forever" IP leasing.

This works for the hard-wired cards - systems always get the same IP
address, and often for the wireless. But frequently, the notebook
wireless card gets assigned an IP outside of the specified range.

If I set it to the desired static IP address, it "takes", but manually
specifing nameserver/router doesn't.

Doing this rebooting and going back to DHCP and rebooting several times
will often produce the desired results of the wireless nic getting its
permanantly leased, DHCP-assigned IP address.

Note, that when the IP addressed is assigned within the specified DHCP
range, it is always the correct one - the one the notebook was initially
assigned. But often the wireless, and only the wireless, gets an address
outside of the range.

TIA, ds

--
Dennis E. Slice