Re: [opensuse] Postfix Qwerkiness
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:51:02 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2007-01-22 at 23:24 +0100, Sandy Drobic wrote:

> > Also, If I'm not mistaken, you usually just modify the main.cf
> > yourself instead of using yast. How would I go about adding the change
> > to myorigin without manually editing the main.cf or using postconf -e
> > (which I think will cause SuSEconfig to choke on the file)? Is the
> > only way to add the change via the /etc/sysconfig/postfix file with
> > POSTFIX_ADD_MYORIGIN = ?
>
> Okay, you've got me there. Since I usually modify settings directly I never
> tried to do it the Yast way. The one thing I would like to remember is where
> in Yast the setting was to tell Yast NOT to touch the Postfix configuration.

You can add new setting to the yast part; ie, defining
"POSTFIX_ADD_MYORIGIN = ..." in /etc/sysconfig/postfix will make Yast add
a "myorigin = ..." line to postfix's main.cf file. I think this change can
also be made from inside Yast somewhere. Using "POSTFIX_ADD_...whatever"
you can create new settings, for variables Yast did not initially
consider.

Also, just by editing /etc/postfix/main.cf or master.cf files, yast will
refuse to touch them ever again (or SuSEconfig, for that matter). In
/var/adm/SuSEconfig/md5/etc/postfix/* it stores the calculated md5 values
of the original files: if they are different from the actual value, it
will leave your files alone.

Meaning, that the instant the admin takes over postfix Yast will not
modify your files and you can forget that danger. This technique
applies to all or most of the configuration files Yast handles. SuSE
has been doing this for years: I have md5 files there dating from 2003
;-)

There are also a few settings common to postfix or sendmail in
"/etc/sysconfig/mail". One of them is "MAIL_CREATE_CONFIG". If you set it
to no, Yast will not even try to create or modify the mail configuration;
but I find easier to let Yast create an initial sensible configuration,
then tailor it to my liking, than starting from scratch.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.