Re: [opensuse] Boot question (FIXED)
  • From: Stevens <fred00sandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:30:14 -0600
On Monday 22 January 2007 17:47, M Harris wrote:
> On Monday 22 January 2007 17:26, stevens wrote:
> > 10.2 has stopped booting. On powerup, after bios check and the 10.2
> > splash/grub menu, the startup process stops with a "Resume device
> > (hda2) not found - ignoring" then "Waiting for device /dev/hda1 to
> > appear".
> >
> > I booted to the install dvd, selected rescue and from the prompt did a
> > e2fsck -nv /dev/hdda1 and everything looked ok. I can mount the volume
> > and everything looks ok. I tried booting with a "noresume" option, but
> > all that did was drop the "Resume device" messaage. The system still
> > dies waiting for hda1.
> >
> > I do not remember doing anything to break it. What happened?
>
> Your grub phase 1 loader can not find the disk for phase 2...
>
> One of your devices is corrupted (hda1, hda2 ?). You will need to fix
> it obviously... are you using ext3? ext2? reiserfs?
>
> I hate to even hint at this, but you may have a bad hard drive. :(

Nope, no bad drive but you were right about grub not seeing the drive. DO
NOT EVER change the ide driver and forget to change it back. It took a
long time to decide that I should actually read the boot info off the
screen and figure out that I now had all scsi drives. It was then a simple
matter of giving grub the right info so it would boot and, once booted, I
changed that damned driver back. Oops!

Thanks, all, for the help.

Fred