Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:56:00 -0500
Greg Wallace wrote:
> ... I found out that Netgear and D-Link both
> make wired routers. Anyone had experience with either of these? Anyone
> have another alternative brand to recommend?

My Netgear RP614v2 has done quite well for several years now. I tried
it with one of those sites that scan your firewall, and the scanner said
my network was "invisible to the Net", which was considered a Good
Thing. I have several computers connected to my internal firewall, and
the only things we use it for are Web and NTP. The Web is normal
outgoing only, with response; NTP is "Triggered" by an internal computer
requesting the port, then the port is open to NTP servers for one
minute. Then we are invisible again.

I don't think the RP614v2 is available any more, but I wouldn't consider
anything but a Netgear if I have to replace it. The internal web
management interface is convenient, too.

--

John Perry