RE: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
On Monday, January 22, 2007 @ 9:02 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

>On 2007/01/22 20:32 (GMT-0600) Greg Wallace apparently typed:\n

>> I just purchased a Belkin 4 port router and the built-in firewall in it
is
>> leaking like a sieve (constantly getting intrusions). I had always used

>Did you try updating to the latest firmware?

Yes, even though it wasn't actually an upgrade (there have been no upgrades
to the firmware on this router, so I just re-installed the one that came
with the box).

>> Linksys, but they just don't seem to last very long in my experience.
So,

>DLink & Linksys around here come with 1 year warranties. Belkin comes
>with 5. Netgear comes with 3.

3 Years beats one year, so that's definitely a plus for Netgear over DLink.

>> I'm looking for alternatives. I like IOGEAR equipment, but they don't
make
>> wired routers and I'd just as soon not go wireless right now (personal
>> choice). In doing some browsing, I found out that Netgear and D-Link
both
>> make wired routers. Anyone had experience with either of these? Anyone
>> have another alternative brand to recommend?

>"My" last router purchase was a Netgear wireless. "I" bought it by proxy
>about 2 weeks ago. My neighbor had been using W98 with Zone Alarm. It
>was heavily afflicted with the M$ popup disease. I sent him to the
>stores with cell phone in hand, and when he described the right one to
>me I said buy that one. It came with a normal wired router complement of
>5 ports: 1 for the modem, and 4 for the rest of the wired network. The
>wireless component is disabled by default. The M$ installer, whatever it
>was installing, recommended an immediate firmware upgrade, which I did
>via one click to download, then opening the browser to open a connection
>to the unit to upload it.

>The last 2 routers I actually bought are Netgear. I used the 4-port
>first about 2 years before buying the FVS318 with 8 ports to replace it.
>That happened nearly 2 years ago now. Or maybe it was 3 then 2. Anyway,
>the old is my backup in case a problem develops with the new.

>Felix Miata *** http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

John Anderson mentioned that active ftp wasn't supported on his Netgear. I
really don't know the difference between the two. My assumption is that
limitation wouldn't cause me any inconvenience.

Thanks,
Greg Wallace