Re: [opensuse] Linux will never overtake Windows
  • From: Jay Smith <susehelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:01:30 -0800
I think Linux has a potential to not necessarily take over windows but be a
contender. I don't think we'll have a day in the near future where Windows won't
exist. I do believe that one day, Linux will be an option. People will know about
Linux and it will be in heavy use. Just look at the facts, Linux is free,
involved user participation, from a business stand point, it's more secure.

Linux is user-friendly, it's different. I've had customers get used to Linux in
about 3 months time. Of course it's not user friendly when you've been using
Windows forever. We have programs like YaST and Synaptic and Smart which make it
easy for apps, no more difficult than going into a store, putting in a disk, and
going through the install process on Windows. On a user end, it's not that hard.
There is a learning curve, that's for sure, but once you get into the swing of
things, it's not bad. I have customers whom are average people whom I have put
Linux onto. They had a tough time at first for like 2 months or so, but then they
were using synaptic to solve problems, going to forums, using Google, and had no
problem.

Windows isn't user-friendly, it's just what people are used to. I mean ya, it's
pretty simple to use, but it's also pretty simple to mess up.

On Sat Jan 20 6:10 , Bob Williams sent: