Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:02:11 -0500
On 2007/01/22 20:32 (GMT-0600) Greg Wallace apparently typed:\n

> I just purchased a Belkin 4 port router and the built-in firewall in it is
> leaking like a sieve (constantly getting intrusions). I had always used

Did you try updating to the latest firmware?

> Linksys, but they just don't seem to last very long in my experience. So,

DLink & Linksys around here come with 1 year warranties. Belkin comes
with 5. Netgear comes with 3.

> I'm looking for alternatives. I like IOGEAR equipment, but they don't make
> wired routers and I'd just as soon not go wireless right now (personal
> choice). In doing some browsing, I found out that Netgear and D-Link both
> make wired routers. Anyone had experience with either of these? Anyone
> have another alternative brand to recommend?

"My" last router purchase was a Netgear wireless. "I" bought it by proxy
about 2 weeks ago. My neighbor had been using W98 with Zone Alarm. It
was heavily afflicted with the M$ popup disease. I sent him to the
stores with cell phone in hand, and when he described the right one to
me I said buy that one. It came with a normal wired router complement of
5 ports: 1 for the modem, and 4 for the rest of the wired network. The
wireless component is disabled by default. The M$ installer, whatever it
was installing, recommended an immediate firmware upgrade, which I did
via one click to download, then opening the browser to open a connection
to the unit to upload it.

The last 2 routers I actually bought are Netgear. I used the 4-port
first about 2 years before buying the FVS318 with 8 ports to replace it.
That happened nearly 2 years ago now. Or maybe it was 3 then 2. Anyway,
the old is my backup in case a problem develops with the new.
--
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
John 10:10 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409