Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:50:16 -0900
On Monday 22 January 2007 17:32, Greg Wallace wrote:
> I just purchased a Belkin 4 port router and the built-in firewall in it is
> leaking like a sieve (constantly getting intrusions). I had always used
> Linksys, but they just don't seem to last very long in my experience. So,
> I'm looking for alternatives. I like IOGEAR equipment, but they don't make
> wired routers and I'd just as soon not go wireless right now (personal
> choice). In doing some browsing, I found out that Netgear and D-Link both
> make wired routers. Anyone had experience with either of these? Anyone
> have another alternative brand to recommend?

I've used Netgear and found them quite satisfactory.

I've used both their wired and wireless.

(Note: on the netgear wireless routers
you can turn off the radio and just use the wired portion, holding the
wireless against the day when relatives with lap tops visit). I mention this
because the price with wireless is seldom any more expensive than
the price without wireless these days.

I too have had to replace a couple linksys routers and always did so
with netgear.

Biggest complaint: not all models support active ftp (or what ever non-passive
ftp is called) because they left that particular flavor of connection
tracking out of their iptables setup. They do support passive ftp just fine.