Re: [opensuse] Mouse movement Jerky!
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:49:28 -0900
On Sunday 21 January 2007 20:28, Contant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> On Saturday 20 January 2007 12:07, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Friday 19 January 2007 18:35, John Pierce wrote:
> > > I placed acpi=force in /boot/grub/menu.lst and the problem has gone
> > > away.  Prior to placing that on the kernel options line I had only 1
> > > reference to acpi in /var/log/boot.msg and that had to do with the
> > > BIOS failing the cutoff date.
> >
> > Glad that worked out for you.
> > Anybody with a machine bios date earlier than 2001 should
> > (by a year or two) should try this option at least once.
>
> Dear John,
> Your comment draw my attention.
> Could you explain why for older machines acpi=force is advised?
> What does it do and why is force necessary? Are there more thing to be
> forced on an old computer?

Well its because acpi was introduced during 2000 to 2001 time frame
and did not become common until about 2001. So most distros
error on the safe side and don't even try it on earlier machines.

However, quality boards began shipping it in 2000 (actually as early
as 1999) and those boards depended on it to get all perepharals
working. Jerky mouse was a classic symptom, as was choppy
sound. Once you turned on acpi on these boards they often work
as intended.

The kernel developers decided that 2001 was a reasonable cut off
date because there were a number of machines that had broken
acpi implementations which were manufactured prior to 2001.

So its not ALWAYS advised. Just when you have symptoms, AND
forcing it on fixes those symptoms.
--
John Andersen