RE: [opensuse] syslog stuff
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:30:42 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2007-01-19 at 23:37 -0600, Greg Wallace wrote:

> >> As a matter of fact, since it was a replacement,
> >> the installation process should have trashed it automatically, like it does
> >> for most packages that are becoming obsolete for that upgrade. For those
> >> doing clean installs this is a non-issue, but when upgrading you're pretty
> >> much relying on that upgrade process to handle these things.

... skip ...

> True enough. Since syslog-ng is basically a new improved version of syslogd
> it seemed that it would be only logical for the system to make that choice.
> But, as you say, some might not want to and it would be presumptuous for the
> system to make that assumption. And both can co-exist without any harm
> being done, allowing one to even switch back and forth between the two, if
> anyone would really want to do that. So, I stand corrected.

Yast upgrade can not simply replace one with the other because many admins
have customized the syslogd configuration, and translating it to an
equivalent syslog-ng configuration may not be trivial. So the decision is
left to the admin.

Yet, I agree, we should have been reminded by the install (by email to
root) to consider changing to the new syslog-ng. I also update my system
and discovered that possibility by chance or seeing it somewhere else.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.