RE: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:20:26 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2007-01-20 at 15:11 -0600, Greg Wallace wrote:

* *
* FIRST: remove unneeded text from the mails you respond to, please. *
* *

Ok? :-)

Ie, trim the quoted text. I have left at the bottom some text for you to
practice removing ;-)

> >So, _you_ set the bios to martian time, then _you_ tell the system to mind
> >that the bios has martian time. Only make sure that it is correct.
>
> >Capishi? :-)
>
> Ok. I see what you're saying, but there seemed to be some implication that
> I could resolve my getting a time error message and a full fsck by changing
> the BIOS clock to UTC.

Possibly.

> I still don't understand that. The problem was
> resolved by my simply changing the SUSE time to be UTC based instead of
> local based (I never adjusted the hardware clock).

No, but your linux will do that for you behind your back :-p

I know, I can tell you the exact script that does it. Believe me, it is
changed.

> And I still don't
> understand how that was affecting fsck.

I haven't given it much thought, but it is possible.

> I mean, if it's using the same
> clock from one boot up to the next, why would it think the time found in the
> file system was in the future every time? But that change did fix the
> problem, so, whatever works as they say.

Possibly, the time reference used while writing that node was different
from the one used while checking it. I haven't had that problem myself and
I haven't studied it. But if the chain of things is such that the clock is
back for some hours when the check runs, it will think that what is
written there was written in the future, which is impossible.

A misconfiguration somewhere, a disagreement. Does it work now? Then
forget it :-)

=== Now, do you see the lines below? ===
=== Remove them, right to the bottom! ;-) ===