Re: [opensuse] Linux will never overtake Windows
  • From: JB <yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:04:42 -0600
On Saturday 20 January 2007 07:03, Matt Stamm wrote:

> From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:14:15 +0200
>
> >Well, this article point at two well-known problems: cross-distro
> >packaging and cross-distro compatibility. Those problems are old as a
> >linux world. Which doesn't prevents my father and mother use Linux
> >successfully.
> >
> >There are many solutions that try to solve both problems (such as
> >Autopackage and klik), but the most serious undertake is the LSB, The
> >Linux Standards Base.
>
> He makes a valid point. From the average user's point
> of view, some things tend to install easier with Windows.

Especially things like, trojans, worms, viruses, malware, ad nauseum, heh
heh.

> My most recent experience, went to a website that required
> flash-player 9. On windows the download and install
> went smooth. On my linux suse-10 the install didn't go
> as smooth, the rpm provided by Adobe installed the plugin
> in the wrong place, something like /usr/..., but it
> was supposed to go /opt/MozillaFirefox/..

I'm still with 9.3 and in /opt/<browser> all the libflashplayer.so's are
linked to /usr/lib/browserplugins all except for in /home/me/.firefox
and .mozilla

> I love linux, using since suse-8, would never go back to
> windows, but windows does make some things easier on
> the "average joe"

When I was still using M$, the only thing it made easier for me was to cuss
the system and kick the side of the tower every once in a while, which I know
didn't help the the system get any better, but picturing BG's face on the
side of the tower while giving it a few good bumps with the side of my foot
made *me* feel better.