Re: [opensuse] Linux will never overtake Windows
  • From: StephenW <winstephen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 05:27:16 -0800 (PST)

--- Matt Stamm <mattsl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:14:15 +0200
>
> >Well, this article point at two well-known problems: cross-distro
> >packaging and cross-distro compatibility. Those problems are old as a
> >linux world. Which doesn't prevents my father and mother use Linux
> >successfully.

... snip ...

> He makes a valid point. From the average user's point
> of view, some things tend to install easier with Windows.
>
> My most recent experience, went to a website that required
> flash-player 9. On windows the download and install
> went smooth. On my linux suse-10 the install didn't go
> as smooth, the rpm provided by Adobe installed the plugin
> in the wrong place, something like /usr/..., but it
> was supposed to go /opt/MozillaFirefox/..

Problem installs/upgrades are not confined to linux - not all Windows upgrades
go smoothly. At school I tried to get Quicktime updated for FF and still have
yet to figure out how to fix it so something happens other than seeing the big
Q with a ? mark in it. However, because of the Q-time problem in FF my
teachers have gone back to using IE.

I have both SUSE 10.2 and Mepis 6.0 running on machines at home and have no
problem with them in this regard.

StephenW