Re: [opensuse] Linux will never overtake Windows
  • From: "Matt Stamm" <mattsl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 05:03:08 -0800
From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:14:15 +0200

>Well, this article point at two well-known problems: cross-distro
>packaging and cross-distro compatibility. Those problems are old as a
>linux world. Which doesn't prevents my father and mother use Linux
>successfully.
>
>There are many solutions that try to solve both problems (such as
>Autopackage and klik), but the most serious undertake is the LSB, The
>Linux Standards Base.

He makes a valid point. From the average user's point
of view, some things tend to install easier with Windows.

My most recent experience, went to a website that required
flash-player 9. On windows the download and install
went smooth. On my linux suse-10 the install didn't go
as smooth, the rpm provided by Adobe installed the plugin
in the wrong place, something like /usr/..., but it
was supposed to go /opt/MozillaFirefox/..

I love linux, using since suse-8, would never go back to
windows, but windows does make some things easier on
the "average joe"