RE: [opensuse] syslog stuff
On Friday, January 19, 2007 @ 11:07 PM, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

>On 2007-01-19 21:45, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> <snip>
>> details and see everything being deleted, added, etc., but how, for
>> instance, would the average SUSE "user" know that syslog-ng was a
>> replacement for syslogd. As a matter of fact, since it was a
replacement,
>> the installation process should have trashed it automatically, like it
does
>> for most packages that are becoming obsolete for that upgrade. For those
>> doing clean installs this is a non-issue, but when upgrading you're
pretty
>> much relying on that upgrade process to handle these things.

>Syslogd is probably still there because many use it for whatever reason.
>If you have it installed, it is up to you, during the upgrade, to
>specify it should be replaced by any alternative. This is the same as
>any installed package for which an alternative exists. It is not
>possible for the distribution authors to know which package(s) should or
>should not be replaced, nor is it acceptable IMO for them to attempt to
>presume any such knowledge. I most certainly would scream very loudly
>if, during a full system upgrade, the installation process decided that
>no, I do not actually want to use Seamonkey, rather I wish instead to
>use Firefox and Thunderbird (or Konqueror and Evolution, or .....). I am
>quite certain that you would complain even more loudly if the
>installation decided that you didn't need Oracle, but wanted MySQL instead.

True enough. Since syslog-ng is basically a new improved version of syslogd
it seemed that it would be only logical for the system to make that choice.
But, as you say, some might not want to and it would be presumptuous for the
system to make that assumption. And both can co-exist without any harm
being done, allowing one to even switch back and forth between the two, if
anyone would really want to do that. So, I stand corrected.

Greg W