Re: [opensuse] How do I keep monitor from going to sleep
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 00:22:21 -0500
On 2007/01/20 10:44 (GMT+0800) Joe Morris (NTM) apparently typed:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> Why you would like to have your display displaying a screen saver that
>> nobody is looking at, is something I can't understand.

> I totally agree here. DPMS is much better than a screensaver, saves
> power, extends monitor life, no multitasking or cpu usage issues, etc.
> Linux does have some awesome screensavers, but it is wasted on me.

I have several displays, all made by Sony, but some branded Dell, that
have unacceptably long warmup times coming out of sleep mode. On some
systems, POST completes and boot is well along before I can see what's
going on. Having to wait as long do to some arbitrary period of
inactivity isn't acceptable either. I suppose what I really need are
some short monitor extension cables that have no continuity on the pins
for DPMS and DDC, as SUSE is not the only OS causing this problem.
--
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
John 10:10 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409