RE: [opensuse] fsck running amok
On Friday, January 19, 2007 @ 8:56 PM, Joe Morris wrote:

>Greg Wallace wrote:
>> Switching to UTC caused the long running fscks to go away, so it seems to
me
>> that there was a direct correlation between the two.
There was.
>> I had never changed
>> from local to utc or vice versa in the past, so something must have
changed
>> with 10.2 to cause this connection.
It was the fact you had never checked /etc/localtime.rpmnew
>> This is, of course, pure speculation,
>> but it seems to fit with what was occurring.
>>

>AFAICT, your BIOS clock was set to localtime

Here we go again with the BIOS clock being set to localtime. I've already
been admonished on this topic and told that the BIOS clock is just set to a
time, period and that localtime vs UTC only gets involved in the operating
system. Then I hear see these types of notes and, of course, it's
confusing.

>, your setting was set to
>UTC,

SUSE was set to use local time when the problem was occurring.

> and when it boot the time stamp for the hard drive was in the
>future as compared to the BIOS clock

I'm still confused here. Because I was using local time, I don't see how a
UTC time was getting written to the hard drive. I guess, even though I was
using local time, the process that wrote the time to the hard drive was
using UTC all on its on; else how to explain it.