Re: [opensuse] Is there an RPM command that will do this?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:10:59 -0800
Greg,

On Friday 19 January 2007 15:54, Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Friday, January 19, 2007 @ 3:55 PM, Randall Schulz wrote:
> >On Friday 19 January 2007 13:37, Greg Wallace wrote:
> >> Is there an RPM command where you can say "Here's a /dir/file.
> >> Tell me what package it's in, if any.".
> >
> >% rpm -q --whatprovides /name/of/file
>
> Is this synonymous with rpm -qf

More or less. The --whatprovides refers to files that (potentially)
satisfy dependencies in other packages. The -f option just asks which
package contained the specified file. A file that's used internally by
a package but that does not constitute part of a packages external
interface would be fit the latter (-f) but not the former
(--whatprovides).

So --whatprovides is a subset of -f in the sense that not every file
that would be found by -f would be found by --whatprovides.

So really, the answer to your question is -f, not --whatprovides (with
the -q being required for both, of course).

> Thanks,
> Greg W

Randall Schulz