Re: [opensuse] How to get firefox to start in online mode
  • From: "Andre Truter" <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:05:10 +0200
On 1/19/07, Stevens <fred00sandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey, here's another problem that I've seen. I installed 10.2 on my
mom's 'puter and each time Firefox is started, it starts in "offline"
mode. That is damned irritationg to me and somewhat confusing to her.

Exactly my problem!

Mihamina suggested "You should just make the Firefox home page either a
blank page or http://localhost/ (if a web server is set up) or file:/// as
last choice."

In my case FF is set up like this, but apparently FF does not think
that the loopback interface (lo, 127.0.0.1) is a real network and
neither is a dialup connection.
If you are not connected on a LAN via ethernet or wireless, then FF
will start offline and you have to manually go and put it in online
mode before you can do anything.

That might work, but since Mom is dialed in and on the net before Firefox
is started, she expects it to be in online mode and the home page to be
what she wants it to be.

Can someone explain why Firefox stays offline even when a dialup connection
is made?

I read in an earlier post that it might be that FF gets the connection
status from NetworkManger and since NetworkManager does not see a
dialup are on-line, FF also does not.

Andre Truter | Software Consultant | Registered Linux user #185282
Jabber: andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx | http://www.trusoft.co.za