Re: [opensuse] Mouse movement Jerky!
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:01:18 -0900
On Thursday 18 January 2007 18:56, John Pierce wrote:
> I will describe my system and hardware for possible solutions.
>
> Processor Pentium III coppermine @ 667 Mhz
> VIA chipset
> ATI Radeon 7000 RV100 QY (Radeon 7000VE)
> System Memory 512 Mb
>
> Here is what I am experiencing, even on a desktop with nothing open if
> I move the mouse around the screen it will move with a sudden stop and
> then start moving again.  It seems (I have not timed this) to stop
> about every 2 seconds with about a 0.5 second delay before it starts
> moving again.

This sounds suspiciously like the problems I had back in SUSE 8.mumble prior
to acpi support being properly implemented.

The solution finally settled upon was that if the bios date was after 2001
acpi would be attempted, but if earlier it would not be.

However some machines with bios dates near 2001 either do or do not
work well with / without acpi in contradiction to the rule. (jeeze what a
mouth-full).

Example: I have this dual celeron machine which needs me to add
acpi=force
to the boot command line because its bios is earlier than 2001, but it
works much better with acpi turned on. Symptoms are sleeps
in usb bus - making for pauses.

So, long story short, read carefully thru /var/log/boot.msg for something like

<3>ACPI: BIOS age (2000) fails cutoff (2001), acpi=force is required to enable
ACPI

And if found, try adding acpi=force to the boot prompt line, and if that
improves things add it to the end of the line in /boot/grup/menu.lst:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hde1 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/hdf1
splash=silent showopts acpi=force

Above is one long line.....