RE: [opensuse] syslog stuff
On Thursday, January 18, 2007 @ 6:19 PM, Carlos Robinson wrote:

>The Thursday 2007-01-18 at 12:35 -0600, Greg Wallace wrote:

>> >Try this:
>>
>> > grep -i SYSLOG_DAEMON /etc/sysconfig/syslog
>>
>> >you should get:
>>
>> > SYSLOG_DAEMON="syslog-ng"
>>
>> I get SYSLOG_DAEMON="syslogd".
>>

>> >If you get "syslog", then fire up the Yast package module, uninstall
>> >syslog, and install syslog-ng instead.
>>
>> >If you get "syslog-ng", I would reinstall it.
>>
>> I tried re-installing syslog-ng and still get "syslogd" as output from
the
>> above command. By the way, I have both syslogd and syslog-ng installed.
Is
>> that what I should have?

>I said above "uninstall syslog" (or syslogd, same thing). Do uninstall it,
>please. Keep only syslog-ng. Then make sure you have

>SYSLOG_DAEMON="syslog-ng"

>- --
>Cheers,
> Carlos E. R.

Darryl Gregorash already had me switch the SYSLOG_DAEMON to syslog-ng and
that seemed to fix the problem. However, I hadn't uninstalled syslogd. I
just did that. Just switching the daemon to syslog-ng fixed the messages
file problem, but if syslog-ng supplants syslogd then it will now be out of
the way so as to not possibly cause problems down the road.

Thanks,
Greg W