Re: [opensuse] Recommended Website Tools
  • From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:34:59 -0600
StephenW wrote:
> --- Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On 01/18/2007 Raoul Snyman wrote:
>>
>>> I prefer not to use WYSIWYG tools, like Nvu, I've only had bad
>>> experiences. :-(
>>>
>> Nvu has a good text mode also. I have used it for several pages and it
>> never trashed anything I had done beforehand. It's very similar to Quanta.
>>

> OK ... now I am lost on this web design thing.
> I have a teacher at school who asked for an easy web design program she could
> use. I suggested Nvu ... now I wish I had not. Seems it is not for beginners
> (since she will be limited to the WYSIWYG.
>
> I am afraid our school system is stuck (mired, sinking in the quicksand of MS)
> using WinXP. I guess the easiest is some MS slop -- like Frontpage. Unless,
> you can steer me to an acceptable OSS.
>
> Thanks
> SW

99.9999999% of the WYSIWYG editors are pure trash. They make garbage pages.

Taking the time to learn HTML is well worth it.

Programs like Quanta+ and, despite what some say, Nvu in text mode are
very good. I confess, I have never tried either in WYSIWYG mode. They
both have "button" shortcuts to the tags that you need most, thus
simplifying the process.

For Windows, taking the time to locate HTMLed can be worthwhile. It is
primarily a text editor, although it does have a "preview" capability in
the pro version. As I said in another post it is an OLD Win3/95 program
but still works perfectly in XP. Nvu is also available for Windows as a
more modern editor.

AFAIAC, all the above are easy to use, but then I did my first pages in
Notepad.

For those that don't want to learn the tags "easy" is Frontpage and it's
trash pages.

--

(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh