Re: [opensuse] beagled CPU usage
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:31:41 -0800

> I wonder how indexing in Vista and/or Macintosh will compare. Will
> people find high CPU usage?

Mac OS X's counterpart is called Spotlight and signified by a
white-on-blue stylized looking-glass (Sherlock Holmes-style) icon and
has a permanent menu at the right-most end of the menu bar. It's
activated by CMD+SPACE (sound familiar?).

Spotlight's indexer is pretty efficient, since it uses FAM (or the
equivalent) to index each file only once, when it's created (or again
when changed). I only notice it when a new drive is attached, but
that's mostly only because I've got various monitoring doo-dads going
that make me aware of almost any system activity. I also have
configured it to ignore certain parts of my file system.

> --
> kai

Randall Schulz