Re: [opensuse] Recommended Website Tools
  • From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:13:19 -0600
Clayton wrote:
>> I'm afraid I would strongly recommend *not* using Nvu. It produces
>> awful
>> markup. It tends to use spans for everything, but doesn't delete them
>> correctly if you change the format (eg from bold to italic). You
>> then end up
>> with nested spans which produce unexpected visual results, and to fix
>> this
>> you have to go into the markup anyway.
>>
>> I suggested Nvu to my son for a school project, but he got so
>> frustrated with
>> "why does this heading look different from that one, when I've told
>> them both
>> to be H1?" that I told him I would go through the markup and tidy it
>> up for
>> him. It took 3 hours to tidy up 4 or 5 pages, the markup was so
>> awful. So
>> never again! YMMV, of course.
>
> This is exactly my experience. I used NVU once in the past year... I
> actually persisted with it for a while too. The nested span thing was
> a nightmare. Everything is fine-ish if you create the content, and
> then do the markup just once, but if you change your mind on anything,
> then the nesting gets out of control, and do it a few times and you
> webpage starts to do funny things.

I've never had any problem like this, and I have used Nvu off and on for
a couple years. Were you using the graphic mode? I have to admit that I
have never tried it in graphic mode. I've only used the text mode.

In windows I use an OLD program called HTMLed. It was originally written
for Windows 3 and updated to 95. As far as I know it was never updated
again after that. It might be a bit difficult to find, but it is still
out there.

--

(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh