Re: [opensuse] How to get firefox to start in online mode
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:41:01 +0100
Roger Dedrick wrote:

> Andre Truter wrote:
>> I installed openSUSE 10.2 for a client on a laptop. One of the main
>> uses he has for it is to go around to clients and demo a web
>> application that is installed on the laptop.
>> So, the machine will not be connected to a network when he does the
>> demos.
>>
>> He will also mainly use modem dial up for internet connectivity.
>>
>> Problem is that apparently Firefox looks at the status of
>> NetworkManager to decide if it should start in offline mode of online
>> mode.
>> So, every time he does a demo, he first need to remember to set
>> Firefox in online mode. This is extremely frustrating, as that is the
>> last thing you think of if you do a demo on your local machine and it
>> is also not so good to try and impress a client and the first thing
>> they see is an error message.
>>
>> Does anybody know if there is a way of overriding this behavior in
>> Firefox?
>>
>> I have googled, but have not found anything yet.
>>
>> Thanks
> I'm not sure if it's that same situation but my desktop went into the
> "off line mode" it was very annoying. . look in the user settings folder
> for the prefs.js file and edit the line "user_pref("browser.offline",
> false);"
> It worked for me.

This should work as a workaround I think but I'm not absolutely sure if
this lives long enough.

My questions before were about improving the online/offline feature if
it behaves wrong. The machine _is_ offline so offline-mode would be
correct. Therefore I asked why offline mode is a problem when the demo
is local.

Wolfgang