Re: [opensuse] beagled CPU usage
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 06:54:50 -0800

> Over the years, people have managed to keep their files
> together. UNIX: ~, as always. DOS: Dedicated folder on C:,
> or another drive. Win 4.x-6.x: My Documents. Why would we
> suddenly need search engines?

Because now we have multi-hundred-gigabyte mass storage and that was not
true even five years ago.

> People unable to label their
> files properly (putting them into the right-named directory
> as a bonus) are a lost case like their files.

If you have a large library of publications, media, etc. then manual
organization is impractical at best and impossible in general (owing to
the fact that no single hierarchy adequately captures all required
organizational schemes).

File names are often poor indicators of what a file contains. For
example, files retrieved from the ACM digital library have names that
start with the primary author's surname followed by the starting page
number of the article within the print publication in which it
originally appeared. (With a ".pdf" suffix, of course.) Files retrieved
from CiteSeer follow no naming convention at all and simply reflect
what their author called them on the computer where the paper was
prepared, and often the name does not hint at either the author or the
subject of the paper.

Content-based access is sorely needed in today's computers.

> -`J'

Randall Schulz