Re: [opensuse] CUPS: remote access settings and broadcasting queues
  • From: Thibaut Cousin <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:25:21 +0100

Le 18 janv. 07 à 09:47, John Andersen a écrit :

You don't want it to broadcast. You will have all sorts of people
trying to print to your printer.

Yes I do.
My local network, including my printing server, is behind my router's firewall, on which port 631 is closed. Inside this little network, I have four computers, all belonging to me. I think I'm allowed to configure my server the way I like it best, since no one can enter this network from the outside (at least on port 631).
Especially since my little iBook is smart enough to dynamically choose any available printer when I want to print, so that I never have to manually declare anything by hand.

You want to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to allow access to the
printers section (but not the admin section) from anywhere, or
perhaps a list of subnets you trust.

Thanks for the pointer. But isn't that what the "Remote access settings" already does? I'd like to find documentation on that new option in YaST2.

You can also require authentication, but that probably opens another
can of worms.

I wholeheartedly agree here. ;-)

Then, you can print to your printer from anywhere, from with linux
machines and windows machines. (Win2k and later understand
ipp protocol.)

I didn't know that Windows could understand IPP. Thanks again.

I have had several cups printers on different networks accepting remote jobs
from anywhere for over three years now and never had any unknown print show
up. However, I don't necessarily recommend opening them to the world.

It was never my intention to open my printer to the world. I'm not an expert, but I'm not that stupid. See above.

I can see several other cups printers on the local internet
because Mac users frequently set their cups up to broadcast. This
is un-necessary and risky. All you have to do is have your users know
how to resolve your server, and open a port (631) in your firewall.

Port 631 is closed by default on Mac OS X's firewall. But you're right, if you activate printer sharing, the port is opened and cupsd broadcasts its queues. I understand the problem theoretically, but in practice it's never a problem and it makes things much easier and adaptable.

In any case, thanks for your answer.

- --
Thibaut Cousin
http://www.thibaut-cousin.net