RE: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:39:50 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2007-01-17 at 16:46 -0600, Greg Wallace wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 17, 2007 @ 4:30 PM, Tom Patton wrote:

> >Just a thought here...wouldn't the messages of interest be
> >in /var/log/boot.msg instead of /var/log/messages?

Probably.

> I was just looking in there. I don't see any additional information, but at
> least I don't have to wade through 7,000 lines of what appears to be zen
> messages to find any pertinent info. I found some lines ahead of where the
> fsck is invoked relating to resume from disk. Seems like that process is
> failing.

Depends on what it says.

Resume from disk is enabled by default, yes, but the kernel is clever
enough to see that there is no suspended session and continue normal
booting. It will simply inform the user of what it is doing. Linux
booting is quite "chatty", but all messages are not errors. Even if you
see errors, many times its simply the kernel trying something, failing
(maybe that thing doesn't exist), and continuing through some other
avenue. All in a typical day for the kernel.

> I don't even need resume from disk, as far as I know, so I'm
> searching for how to turn that off, just hoping that might have something to
> do with the problem.

We can better judge if you post the messages you are worried about ;-)

Besides, suspending/resuming to disk is very useful. I don't halt my
computer, I suspend it. Resuming is much faster than booting.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.