Re: [opensuse] beagled CPU usage
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:28:17 +0100 (MET)

>> Look at a PDF file once, there's so much extraneous formatting
>> information interleaved with the text that only rarely would grep or
>> other textual search find what you're looking for. The same goes for
>> PostScript, Word and almost any word-processing or document
>> distribution format.
>>
>> There are alternatives to Beagle, but I'm not sure they're any
>> more "ready for prime-time" than Beagle is.
>
>Yeah, I agree.
>
>Plus locate is - gulp - command line and you need a college degree to
>understand the regex operations in grep.
>
>I personally euthanized the darn dog on all my machines and use a logical
>folder structure to find things.

Over the years, people have managed to keep their files
together. UNIX: ~, as always. DOS: Dedicated folder on C:,
or another drive. Win 4.x-6.x: My Documents. Why would we
suddenly need search engines. People unable to label their
files properly (putting them into the right-named directory
as a bonus) are a lost case like their files.

-`J'