Re: [opensuse] syslog stuff
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:51:26 -0600
On 2007-01-17 22:10, Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 17, 2007 @ 8:24 PM, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>

> <snip>
>> grep SFW2 /var/log/messages | grep IN=
>>

> Thousands of lines of output

OK, so much for that idea. I'm sure glad, though, that no bug report has
to be filed against the kernel :-)

<note to self: send Greg a typing tutor program :-) >

>> grep IN= /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.in
>>

> No such file or directory

Say what? What's the output of

rpm -ql syslog-ng

>> BTW, what is the result of this:
>> ls -l /var/log/firewall
>>

> ls: cannot access /var/log/firewall: No such file or directory
>
> Maybe that's the problem. There is no separate log file set up for the
> firewall so all of the firewall messages get dumped into messages. Is there
> somewhere where you can define a specific separate log file for firewall
> messages?
If the file does not exist, the syslog daemon will create it --
assuming, of course, that it is given any reason to do so.