Re: [opensuse] How to unmount partition?
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:43:43 -0600
On 2007-01-17 22:49, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 20:31, Randall R Schulz wrote:

>> If you reduce the number of _uses_ (plurals of the noun defined
>> above), then the umount command, sans -f / force option, will
>> succeed.
>>

> Sorry. Something got messed up. I mean to say:
>
> "If you reduce the number of uses of file-system entities on the file
> system in question to zero, then the umount command [...] will
> succeed."

Randall,

I have to agree with Marc on this. He gave the example of /usr. In
addition to that, I run with separate partitions for /var and /tmp.
Would you suggest that I turn off all logging so I can umount /var? That
will require stopping quite a few services that probably should be left
running. I bet Yast will complain, rather loudly, if I run it without a
mounted /var. How does one turn off all activity on /tmp?

Whether or not something is possible in principle is not the point here.
The question is, can the advice be followed without potential for making
a serious mess of things? In the hands of the less-than-experienced, the
answer here is certainly "no", and so the advice should not be given.