[opensuse] Update problem - SUSE9.3 to 10.1
  • From: Bruce Samhaber <bsamhaber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:29:00 -0500
Hi,

I have been using SUSE9.3 on a my machine for over 1 year now with no problems
at all on this harddrive.
I was updating my SUSE9.3 to SUSE10.1 which proceeded without any errors
through the Update program. However, when the machine rebooted from the
hardrive it would get past GRUB to displaying the blue SUSE 10.1 splash
screen and freezes there. If I press <CTRL><F2> the screen has the following
message scrolling accross it continuously and always the same values.

ReiserFS: hda2: Removing [109529 94240 0x0 SD]..<4>ReiserFS: warning:
is_tree_node: node level 18266 does not match to the expected one 1
ReiserFS: hda2: warning: vs-5150: search_by_key: invalid format found in
block3016756. Fsck?
ReiserFS: hda2: warning: vs-5657: reiserfs_do_truncate: i/o failure occurred
trying to truncate [109529 94240 0xfffffffffffffff DIRECT]
done

I have tried several different choices to recover the system but non have
worked. What looked most promissing was to boot from the DVD and choose
Installation with Save Mode then when it asked for a new installation or
update to choose "Repair" ; from here I tried all three choices "Automatic",
"Custom" and "Expert"-to repair the file system. In all of the cases the
program did a check of the filesystem then Repaired it with no error messages
and once it even said that the repair was successful. However, these repair
attempts did nothing to get the system working better.

It is clear that the SUSE 10.1 update program has corrupted the harddrive
partition.

What can I do to fix the machine??
I would like to install the software without loosing all the data on the
harddrive in the various directories.

Thanks,

--
Bruce Samhaber