Re: [opensuse] Flash Player for Linux Now Available for Download
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:35:21 -0800

kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> BUT, shouldn't the linux version handle said "braindead webside coder" the
> same way the windoze version does? Can we do with a bit less of a superiority
> nonsense and a bit more of "can do" coding?
I don't think you understand what's happening in such cases. If a
website is written to conform to standards, and sends the video content,
linux handles it beautifully. When the website checks to ensure that a
client running their accepted OS and web browser, and denies access if
the client is not said OS and browser, that is against standards, and
what I consider brain dead.

> Video over the net is just about
> impossible in a standard 10.2, far worse in the 64 bit 10.2 and it only gets
> marginally better if one goes to packman. The 32/64 bit issues with firefox,
> konqueror and plugins, compounded by the limitations of "linux" realplayer,
> mplayer, flashplayer etc make it imperative that one should keep a doze
> version handy, if one is keen on watching on line video...

Sorry, but that is just silly. I have no trouble viewing youtube,
quicktime movie trailers, flash, java, wmv, mpg, DVDs or any other
multimedia on my SuSE desktops.

BTW I've got a windoze image under win4lin on my main SuSE system, but
after firing it up initially and futzing around some months ago, I
haven't bothered with it, and haven't missed it.

Joe