Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:24:47 -0800
Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 17, 2007 @ 3:25 PM, I wrote:
>

>> Well, I've done some more digging on this problem and, though I have found
>> out some things, I am still no closer to solving the problem than before.
>>

>> 1) The huge amount of lines in /var/log/messages seems to be unrelated to
>> why I'm getting an fsck every time I boot. There are hundreds of lines in
>> there that look like this one --
>>

>> Linux kernel: SFW2-IN-ACC-RELATED IN eth0
>> OUT=MAC=00:08:74:24:85:82:00:04:5A:0f:18:07:08:00 SRC=128.61.111.11
>> DST=192.168.1.102 LEN=529 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=238936 WINDOW=1716
>> RES=0x00 ACK FIN URGP=0 OPT (long hex number here)
>>

>> The DST address is my machine's internal address. I checked several of the
>> SRC addresses and they seemed to all be ZEN/YOU mirrors. So, this would
>> appear to be some ZEN glitch (if so, what's new). I wouldn't think this
>> would have anything to do with my getting the fscks every time I boot.
>>

>> 2) When I finally scrolled back across thousands of lines of the above and
>> got to the beginning of the startup process, there were no messages that
>> indicated any type of problem, disk related or otherwise.
>>

>> 3) I tried "tune2fs -c 99 /dev/hda2" and it came back and said "Setting
>> maximal mount count to 99". However, I still get an fsck every time I boot
>> up.
>>

>> So, at this point I'm stumped. There doesn't seem to be any error message
>> coming out and yet it just automatically does an fsck every time I boot.
>> I'm going to look at some of the other files in /var/log to see if I can
>> find one with some sort of message in it that would point me to why this is
>> happening. Don't know what else to do at this point.
>>

>> Greg Wallace
>>

> I just noticed the following lines ahead of the fsck in the log --
>
> Invoking userspace resume from /dev/hda1
> resume: Could not stat configuration file
> resume: libgcrypt version: 1.2.3
> resume: Could not read the image
> Invoking in-kernel resume from /dev/hda1 <-- swap
> Waiting for device /dev/hda2 to appear ok
> fsck...
>
> Could the fact that it's trying to do a resume and is unable to be the cause
> of the problem? I really don't need resume from disk anyway. How can I
> turn that off? I'll start looking for that setting under /etc/sysconfig
> Editor.
>
> Greg W

I had a similiar problem a long time ago. You might want to bring it do
run level 3, single user and do a manual fsck with full checking and
repair. Sometimes, the fsck that is started up in the standard system is
not doing an adequate repair. This may repair the disk correctly. After
that you can reboot the system with a sync before. This may work but
then may not. By the way, are you running ext2 as your file system?

--

Joseph Loo
jloo@xxxxxxx