[opensuse] audio mixer not quite working...
  • From: "Andy Harrison" <aharrison@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:55:19 -0500
I've recently installed 10.2 on an employer-provided Dell Inspiron
9300. I was pleased not to have to program the front multimedia keys
myself. However, the volume control isn't behaving as expected.

The 9300 has this little speaker on the bottom that is, apparently,
some sort of miniature sub-woofer. I'm using kde and when I open up
kmix, the only thing that controls the volume of this little speaker
is the "Master Mono" slider. It's not a big deal until I'm in the
middle of my nice quiet office and I hit a web page with some flash
movie or other noisemakers and I can't just smack the mute button.
Hitting mute or turning the volume down will only affect the regular
speakers, but this little speaker is unaffected and continues blaring
away until I dump whatever is making the noise or I open kmix and grab
that Master Mono slider.

I've played around with some of the different settings, especially on
the kmix "Switches" tab, but pretty much all I've managed to do is
make sound not work at all.

Any suggestions?

--
Andy Harrison