Re: [opensuse] SOLVED: SysRq output on serial console?
  • From: Winfried Huber <win@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:17:35 +0100
Am Montag, 15. Januar 2007 11:15 schrieb Winfried Huber:
> to hunt down occasional kernel oopses I attached a serial console at my
> linux box. So I can get oopses even though the kernel can't write log files
> any more.
>
> But sometimes the kernel is not completely fucked up and SysRq still works.
> But the kernel can't write /var/log/messages any more, and I can't switch
> to my X11 console (Ctrl-Alt-F10).
>
> But SysRq writes header lines only to my serial console, e.g. "SysRq : Show
> Memory". The real interesting part, memory dumps, backtraces, locks, etc.
> are written to /var/log/messages only and thus are lost :-(
> I need them on the serial console.

Got it!
The value of "KERNEL_LOGLEVEL" in /etc/sysconfig/syslog was set to 1 (the
default value). Setting this to 7 solved the problem.

This can be done either by manually editing the file (and running SuSEconfig
afterwards) or using YAST2 -> system -> editor for /etc/sysconfig files ->
System -> Logging -> KERNEL_LOGLEVEL.

Now my console is pretty chatty...

Thanks!
Winfried