Re: [opensuse] network printer--Windows
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:02:30 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Jan 16 19:58 Doug McGarrett wrote (shortened):
> Let us assume that I have a Windows machine connected to a Win Printer--
> a lowly Lazerjet that Linux doesn't particularly know or love.
> Can Linux print to this printer over a network connection,

No.

> does Linux have to have some kind of driver for this printer?

Yes.
Not only "some kind of driver" but actually "the right driver".

See for example:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_via_SMB_(Samba)_Share_or_Windows_Share

It doesn't matter which kind of network protocol you use
(SMB, LPD, IPP, whatever) to transfer data from Linux to Windows.
The crucial point is that a usual Windows system (without additional
special software) cannot convert generic PostScript, PDF, JPEG, or
whatever stuff which is to be printed into printer specific data.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5 Mail: jsmeix@xxxxxxx