[opensuse] network printer--Windows
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:58:59 -0500
Hello, all--

Let us assume that I have a Windows machine connected to a Win Printer--
a lowly Lazerjet that Linux doesn't particularly know or love. Let us further
assume that I have figured out how to network a Linux machine with the
Windows machine. Can Linux print to this printer over a network connection,
or does Linux have to have some kind of driver for this printer? I am now
positing that the Windows machine is the server for this printer. Please
advise, since if the answer is affirmative, I will give the printer to my
son, who has been thinking about Linux, but is basically committed to stay
with Windows, and will shortly have two machines to play with, on one of
which he expects to put a Linux distro--probably not SuSE, but anyway. . . .

Thanx--doug