Re: [opensuse] Timesync problem
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:10:04 -0800

Geir A. Myrestrand wrote:
> Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> - I've read and searched and read and searched all vmware docs and
>> more...and still, I take the liberty to ask this list. Its got a
>> little to do with SuSE10.2, so please forgive me...
>>
>> - I'm running SLES10 as a host OS onto which I'm running a number of
>> SuSE10.2s using vmware server. My time in the quests is way off. I set
>> it using ntpdate -s on the clients. Then I initiate ntpd on the
>> client. Or not, no difference. The time in my clients lacks behing by
>> several hours/day.
>> - I'm currently trying a real dirty hack...on the client I'm running a
>> cronjob every 10 minutes, doing a ntpdate -s -b IP-OF-TIMESERVER. I
>> tried that hack by running the cronjob every 30 minutes, - but that
>> didn't work...
>>
>> - any hints?
>
> Have a look at http://www.ntp.org.
> Or install package xntp / xntp-doc and read the documentation.
>
> You want to use a pool of time servers (preferably in a region near your
> machine), and then run the ntp service. ntpdate is the manual time sync
> tool.
>
> It is configurable though YaST (from SLP 9.3):
> Yast2 > Network Services > NTP Client.

That's all well and good, but the problem is the vmware client. We have local
stratum 2 ntp servers, but the vmware clients are unable to sync to them. The
only thing that works is a periodic ntpdate command.

For this reason we are looking into other virtualization technologies e.g.
xen, vserver et al.

Joe